What Are Some of the Questions I Should Ask My Eye Doctor?
- What changes can I expect in my vision?
- Will my vision loss get worse? How much of my vision will I lose?
- Will regular eyeglasses improve my vision?
- What medical/surgical treatments are available for my condition?
- What can I do to protect or prolong my vision?
- Will diet, exercise, or other lifestyle changes help?
- If my vision can't be corrected, can you refer me to a specialist in low vision?
- Where can I get a low vision examination and evaluation? Where can I get vision rehabilitation?
- What is the name of my eye condition?
- What is my visual acuity (Central vision)?
- What is my visual field (Side vision)?
- Are there other tests?
- What about a second opinion?
- Are there any optical or non-optical aids that can help me use my remaining vision to the fullest extent possible?
- Are there any mobility aids to help me move around more safely?
- Do any of your other patients have this condition? Would they be willing to talk with my family and me?
- Do you have any educational materials that describe this condition?
- Are there any organizations that provide services to individuals with this or related eye conditions?
Input from the National Eye Institute