Deputy Chief, Preclinical Translational Research Programs
The Foundation Fighting Blindness is the largest nongovernmental foundation supporting retinal disease research in the world, funding rigorous scientific discovery and clinical trials to preserve and restore vision. We are headquartered in Columbia, MD with regional offices in New York NY, Chicago IL, Raleigh NC and Santa Monica CA.
Over the past four decades, FFB has raised more than $600 million to fund research studies at prominent institutions worldwide, focused on retinal disease research. We are seeking a dynamic, experienced and organized DEPUTY CHIEF, PRECLINICAL TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH PROGRAMS to be part of our team, located in Columbia, MD.
- Responsible for oversight and management of the Translational Research Acceleration Program, with primary responsibility for programs already in preclinical stage
- Work closely with the Chief Research Office and the Deputy Chief Research Officer, other senior staff and principal investigators to establish funded research projects with milestones and timelines
- Actively manage program performance by identifying potential risks and roadblocks and facilitating mitigation plans for achieving the goals of the project
- Build rapport and collaboration with the Scientific Advisory Board, subject-matter experts in drug development and the retina as well as other clinicians and scientists in the inherited retinal degeneration field
- Participate in prioritization of translational and preclinical programs/projects
- Work closely with the DCRO to maintain a working knowledge of the inherited retinal degeneration field landscape
- Work collaboratively with the Clinical Research Institute (CRI) to facilitate the transition of programs from the preclinical development phase to the project stage of IND-enabling studies
- Accountable for preparing project updates to CRI
- Identify projects that are nearing IND-enabling studies and with CRI, be responsible for organizing research project review meetings with subject matter expert reviewers to identify any gaps in clinical readiness. Oversee design and performance of additional preclinical experiments
- Work closely with the scientists who have been funded and prepare full assessment in case of exit toward a new company or licensing to an existing pharmaceutical company, as part of the due diligence process.
- Following each project review meeting, prepare the assessments and project recommendations for the Chief Drug Development Officer, CRI
- Develops expertise in assigned diseases/therapeutic targets
The successful candidate will possess:
- Ph.D. in a field of science, preferably biological science/neurology
- 7+ year’s post-degree experience, in research and/or research management with at least 4 years in a translational science setting within a biotech or pharma company
- Broad scientific knowledge of small molecules, proteins, gene and cell therapies
- Working knowledge and experience with development of Target Product Profiles and their implementation in guiding translational science, from preclinical stages through clinical trials
- Awareness of the FDA regulatory guidance documents, sufficient to provide general guidance to academic investigators, and know when it is appropriate to seek expert input to guide strategies for future regulatory submissions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Well organized
- Self-motivated, and demonstrated high attainment of on-time delivery of goals
- Works well independently with minimal oversight
- Proficient in concise, accurate writing of scientific reports
- Assumes responsibility for producing final work products
- Able to make clear and concise verbal presentations at all scientific levels, including patient groups, Investigator meetings, and Board of Director meetings
- Competent in Microsoft Office products; addition competence with Microsoft Project is a plus
- Ability to travel overnight and weekends as required; as well as able to work a flexible schedule
Please send your resume with a cover letter stating salary requirement and overview of accomplishments to HR@fightblindness.org. We offer an excellent salary and benefits, and a terrific team environment!