Associate Director, Communications & Marketing
The Foundation Fighting Blindness is the largest nongovernmental foundation supporting retinal disease research in the world, funding rigorous scientific discovery and clinical trials to preserve and restore vision. We are headquartered in Columbia, MD with regional offices in New York NY, Chicago IL, Raleigh NC and Los Angeles CA.
Over the past four decades, FFB has raised more than $600 million to fund research studies at prominent institutions worldwide, focused on retinal disease research. We are seeking a dynamic, experienced and organized Associate Director, Communications & Marketing to be part of our team. This position will be based in Columbia, MD, reporting to the Senior Director, Communications & Marketing.
- Manage the communications and marketing support for numerous public education projects and events including the Visions Seminar Series, the biannual Day of Science and Visions Conference meeting and the Partners for Retinal Health project.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director and Brand Manager, write and provide oversight of the editorial, design and production processes of FFB publications, including newsletters, annual report, public education materials and event scripts.
- Edit and review copy for event journals, e-blasts, direct mail pieces, grant proposals, governance reports and other editorial content as needed.
- Compose human-interest, and organizational content for periodic and ongoing communications including newsletters, press releases, social and blog content (including video content), web content and annual reports and other governance communications.
- Partner with the Development staff to provide accurate and current information about retinal disease research and support their efforts in cultivating and sustaining donor relationships by providing content, directing them to appropriate resources, communicating updates and assisting them in how the information can be utilized.
- Working with multiple teams, design and coordinate public education and vision practitioner engagement programs, including the Partners for Retinal Health program.
- In collaboration with the Events department, plan and successfully execute an event marketing plan for non-revenue, public education events, including Day of Science and Visions Conferences and the Visions Seminars series. Responsible for the creation of onsite information and collateral materials for these events.
- Act in place of the Senior Director when the Senior Director is out of the office.
The successful candidate will possess:
- B.S. or B.A. in Journalism, English, Communications or Public Relations and work experience in a communications or public relations/public affairs environment is required
- Experience working in a science or healthcare environment a plus
- 7+ years professional work experience with managerial responsibilities
- Excellent writing and editing skills including the ability to preserve the author’s voice while editing drafts for accuracy, grammar and to conform to the organization’s editorial guidelines
- Demonstrated ability in project management to successfully manage multiple projects at one time, and meet deadlines by effectively prioritizing workload
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Must be a collaborative team member with information sharing and editorial and project planning processes
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) required
- Must possess valid driver’s license with driving record acceptable to FFB insurance carrier
- Occasional weekend/overnight travel required
Please send resume, writing sample and salary requirements to HR@blindness.org. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits, as well as a terrific team to work with! FFB is an equal opportunity employer.